For 4 persons
- 200g short grain Bomba rice or Arborio rice
- ½ pound deveined shrimp
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 30g frozen peas, thawed
- 60g artichoke hearts, cut into quarters
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 1 large pinch saffron
- Your favorite chili powder of PepperukoHK, ½ teaspoon (more or less to taste)
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
Dry the shrimp and add it to a bowl with ½ teaspoon smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt.
In a largest skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp, cook about 1 to 2 mins per side, until the shrimp just barely opaque. Remove the shrimp and set it aside.
In the same skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic about 3 mins.
Add the chopped tomatoes and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, cook until the tomatoes have broken down and most of the liquid is evaporated, around 5 mins.
Pour in the vegetable stock, saffron, chili powder and 1 tablespoon kosher salt.
Sprinkle the rice evenly across the stock and tap the pan with a spoon to evenly spread the rice.
Bring to a medium simmer and cook without stirring until liquid is absorbed, about 18 to 22 mins.
When the top of the rice is beginning to show through the liquid (about 10 minus into the cook time), press the artichokes and peas lightly into the rice. Add the strips of red pepper over the top.
When the paella is done, add the shrimp on top of paella and squeeze the lemon wedges onto the top of the pan. Sprinkle with the parsley. Serve with additional lemon wedges.