For 4 persons
- 450g medium-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 350g cabbage leaves , cut into small pieces
- 170g shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 30g chopped cilantro leaves
- White rice for serving
- Your favorite chili powder of PepperukoHK, 1 teaspoon (more or less to taste)
Place a kitchen paper towel on a plate, place the tofu, then place another kitchen paper towel on top of the tofu.
Place another plate on top of the tofu and weigh it down with a bowl filled with something heavy to express the liquid from the tofu.
Let sit for 10 mins, replacing the paper towels midway through draining. Slice the tofu into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Place a baking sheet on a baking tray. Place the tofu on a baking sheet in one layer, evenly spaced apart.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove from the oven and set aside.
While the tofu is baking, start making the sauce.
In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, sugar, chili pepper and black pepper until the sugar dissolves.
Once the tofu is done baking, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the oil and garlic.
Cook until golden brown and fragrant.
Add the cabbage, mushrooms, and red bell pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
Add the fish sauce mixture and the tofu, toss to combine, and cook until the fish sauce has been absorbed and the vegetables are tender.
Taste for seasoning and add more black pepper and salt if needed. Top with chopped cilantro and serve over steamed rice.